It’s that time of year again!
This Saturday the 11th of September is the 11+ exam date for West Midlands Grammar schools. We are thrilled that so many of our students have decided to apply to Grammer Schools and try for the 11+ Exam. Here at Smart 11+ Tuition, we thrive on building a child’s confidence and giving them all the tools they need to excel. Is your child looking to take the 11+ exam today? Please don’t forget to tell us about their experience!
What is the 11+ Exam?
It is an entrance exam for secondary grammar schools. The 11+ exam is used by both state-funded Grammer schools and private Independent schools to support them in selecting the most academically able children. The exam is taken when children are coming to the end of year five. If you think your child would be interested in learning how to approach the 11+ exam let us know!
Five quick tips to handle on the day nerves:
- Don’t Panic. Our tutors sound like parrots saying this in class but it is very true. When a person is calm they will process information a lot better. In the words of Henry Ford: ‘If you think you can or you think you can’t, you are probably right.’ It is important that you stay calm and just have a go. Ultimately, every experience is a learning experience, so learn what you can and try your best.
- Put the answer in the right place. Use your finger to follow along on each question and make sure your answers are in the right column.
- Don’t spend too long on one question. If you are not sure – make an educated guess but do not spend ten minutes on one question. If you need to, make sure to go back to it at the end.
- Think about the Clock. Time goes so quickly in test conditions. Make sure you pace yourself and get your timing exactly right. Remember any tips your tutor would have provided in class about how to manage your time.
- Have fun. This is your time to shine! Show off what you can do and enjoy doing it. With all the practice and support in class, you are fully prepared.
The 11+ Exam is designed to be a challenge but with tutoring and the support of parents, children have a much better chance at being successful on the day. Read the question carefully and don’t forget our top tips!